There is a current workshop member with the same first and last name and/or the same e-mail address that you have just submitted for a new membership. If you are a current member but have forgotten your password or log-in name, please use the password/ID request form (or contact us) and do not submit this form. If you have deleted your membership and now wish to reinstate it, contact us and we will set you up again; do not submit this form.
However, if you just happen to have the same name as a current member, please add your middle name to the first-name text box or otherwise differentiate your name from the current member's. This will prevent confusion in the future. Then go ahead and click on the "Next Step" button to join the workshop.
If you are using the same e-mail address as a current member (for example, sharing a household or classroom account), no problem. Just go ahead and click on the "Next Step" button to join the workshop.
The newsletter is sent out via the news-only mailing list. If you did not sign up to receive the newsletter (via the news-only mailing list) when you joined the workshop, you can do so below.
This online writing workshop has two associated e-mail discussion groups for members (and people interested in becoming members):
- The SFF-Writing group, for discussion of the workshop, submissions, ratings and reviews, the SF/F market, and writing in general. This group is open to all, and everyone can contribute messages to it, but all messages are moderated by Online Writing Workshop staff. Off-topic postings will not be approved. Commercial advertising is not allowed. Medium volume; available in daily digest format. Rules
- The SFF-Chat group, for general talk among workshop members. This is where messages that are not appropriate for the SFF-Writing list should be posted. Commercial advertising is not allowed. Unmoderated. Sometimes high volume; available in daily digest format.
To subscribe to a group, just type your e-mail address into the form below and click the "Join List" button.
SFF-Writing list rules: New members' messages will be moderated for a brief learn-the-ropes period. The rules:
- Be respectful of your fellow list members.
- Argue the idea, not the speaker.
- Keep (at least mostly!) to the topic and purpose of the list -- that is, writing.
- Deal with problems and concerns either with courtesy, offlist, or by bringing them to the attention of the moderator. Do not flame. Finishing it is just as bad as starting it.
Off-topic postings have another home: the Chat mailing list (http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/oww-sff-chat).
As always, any questions about the rules happily answered via our Contact Us form.
More on managing your list subscription:
To unsubscribe from a list at any time, go to http://groups.yahoo.com, sign in if necessary, click on the appropriate group name on the left-hand side, then click on the "Unsubscribe" link on the right-hand side.
To set the the Writing or Chat group to digest mode, follow these instructions:
To read previous and current newsletters, visit the news-only mailing list's message archive
To visit the discussion-group Web site to read messages:
- Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/messages/oww-sff-writing or http://groups.yahoo.com/messages/oww-sff-chat
- Sign in if necessary
- Click on "Messages" on the left
- Click on the "Thread" link on the right if you want to read messages arranged by topic rather than just by date
- Click on the message subjects you want to read.